Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:11:34 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   gdb and ELF shared libraries

It appears to me that the gdb 4.18 port on FreeBSD 3.3 doesn't provide
support for ELF shared libraries.

Am I correct about that, or did I just snag myself on some obscure gdb
bug that was masquerading as ELF shared library non-support?

Anyway, assuming that my supposition is correct, and that gdb 4.18 on
FreeBSD does not yet support debugging of ELF shared libraries, I'd
like to maybe take a whack at making it do that.  (I've worked on gdb
and gcc before, and have pretty good knowledge of ELF, so I think that
I could actually make a useful contribution here.)

But I have a first-order problem to overcome first.  I can't even get
the gnu gdb 4.18 source tree to build on FreeBSD 3.3.  It craps out
while trying to compile the file solib.c.  (And looking at DejaNews,
I see that I am not the only person who has run into this problem,
so I know that it's not just me.)

So will somebody please tell me the trick to get past these compile-time
problems with solib.c?  Obviously, *somebody* knows how to get past them,
because FreeBSD 3.3 ships with a binary of gdb 4.18 and that *does* kinda
sorta work.  So how was that built, and who built it?  Where are the patches
that were used to make it build?

P.S.  I already wrote to David Greenman <dg@FreeBSD.org> and asked him who
is the current maintainer of the FreeBSD port for gdb, but he didn't respond.