Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:02:11 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org, Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu>
Subject:   Re: change to /usr/include/osreldate.h breaks ports x11-servers/xorg-server

On Wednesday 14 of September 2005 00:40, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 15:29 -0700, Ted Faber wrote:
> > Hi, guys.
> >
> > I don't know if you noticed this, but there was a recent commit to
> > src/include/Makefile (cvs version 1.247) that changed the generated file
> > /usr/include/osreldate.h by adding a prototype for the function
> > getosreldate().
> >
> > This breaks compilation of x11-servers/xorg-server and I would guess a
> > bunch of other X ports.  In x11-servers/xorg-server the problem is that
> > config/cf/FreeBSD.cf includes that file, apparently assuming that
> > everything in it is a C preprocessor directive.  The new prototype
> > results in Makefile.proto files that make does not accept in various
> > places in the config directories during make config of the port.
> >
> > This seems a little complex for me to produce a patch for.  You all may
> > have to negotiate with the committers to remove the prototype or to add
> > more complexity to the X configuration stuff to filter that prototype
> > out.  Not a decision I'm comfortable suggesting a path for.
> >
> > I'm happy to provide more info if you need it.
>
> Sigh.  Imake is such a lame hack.
>
> I think the best solution here will be to just use the major/minor
> versions instead of osreldate and not worry about fine-grained feature
> addition on (old) -current/-stable in the imake case.

Luckily this had to be reverted for another reason so at least for now things
should work again :)

--------------- Forwarded message (begin)

Subject: cvs commit: src/include Makefile
From: Stefan Farfeleder <stefanf@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:01:06 +0200
Newsgroup: gmane.os.freebsd.devel.cvs.src

stefanf     2005-09-14 09:01:06 UTC

  FreeBSD src repository

  Modified files:
    include              Makefile
  Log:
  Back out 1.247.  On ia64 <osreldate.h> is included from assembler source,
  the prototype broke buildword.

  Noticed by:     marcel

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.248     +0 -1      src/include/Makefile