Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:46:18 -0500
From:      "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
To:        <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: port vs package

/usr/ports        gets source, builds, installs your app (I want to
see/change code)
pkg_add        gets pre-built binaries, installs your app (just install it
please... now!)

Ports will get binaries and install them if no source availiable(like
Netscape),
pkg_add will get sources and build if nescessary(Opera support files needed
to install Opera)

But ports "prefers" source. Both work, pkg_add is -much- faster and (I've
found) slightly more reliable (because if the binaries are availiable no
possibility of source-compilation errors). Ports is of course very much more
flexible for the gurus who actually have enough knowhow to fix things ;)

Steve