Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 23:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! - "parity error during data-in phase" when using CD-R

Thanks to all who responded to my SCSI CD-R problem.

I have used this CD-R before under FreeBSD, and it works fine.  Fully
supported by cdrecord and all that -- I have a stack of self-made freeBSD
release CD-ROMs to prove it.

Someone suggested a bent pin on the connector.  someone else suggested
that the onnector itself might have been damaged somehow (broken solder
connection).  The pins are all fine, however I think the latter (bad sold
er connections) is highly likely.

Someone suggested that the SCSI connector on the cable is bad.  Well, to
test that I plugged that connector into one of my SCSI hard drives.  No
trouble at all.  So the connector is crimped on to the ribbon cable
properly and all.

Someone suggested trying to remove all of my devices.  Actually, t this is
one of the first things I tried (I may have forgotten to mention it in my
message) and that didn't help either.

Someone else suggested a dirty lens.  Again, one of the first things I
tried -- I ran ye olde lens cleaning disc with no effect.

Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions.  I haven't given up yet, and I
haven't thrown away the drive yet.  I think it's a good bet that, by being
too forceful when removing the cable, I may ahve broken one of the solder
connections loose on the SCSI connector.  It is out of warranty, but
luckily I have an electronics technician friend who is real handy with a
solder iron.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>                           | PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.