Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2013 05:49:57 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two batteries recognized

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:38:11 -0400, Andre Goree wrote:
 > On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:36:35 -0400, Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info> wrote:
 > > > has only
 > > > this.
 > > > there's
[..]
 > > > You don't say what make/model laptop, though your acpiconf suggests
 > > > somesort of Dell.  Many laptops have the capacity to add a second
 > > > battery,sometimes instead of a CD/DVD or extra hard drive in a bay.  The
 > > > aboveoutput doesn't indicate that there are two fitted, just the capacity
 > > > formanaging two in the ACPI/BIOS.
 > > > 'bat0' and 'bat1' used below are not valid battery descriptors,
 > > > specifyonly '0' or '1'.  Yes, acpiconf(8) should be a lot clearer about
 > > > that.
[..]
 > > Thanks!  I will check this when I get home (currently slaving at work :P).
 > >
 > > The model is a Dell Latitude E6400.
 > >

 > Ok, so my [correct] output is below.  Is there a way to disable a battery?

Not that I know of.  Hacking your ACPI AML would seem a bit extreme ..

 > It's really more just so I can get the correct output from KDE's battery
 > monitor.  It currently recognizes the two batteries, and when I have the AC
 > adapter unplugged it shows 50% (I'm assuming because one battery is full, the
 > other empty -- or unrecognized -- rather than 100%).

Yes, I have an old Compaq that can take two, and its (in-BIOS) battery
monitor works that way, 50% for each battery - but only with two fitted.

 > [root@dlaptop ~]# acpiconf -i 1
 > Design capacity:        0 mAh
 > Last full capacity:     0 mAh
 > Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
 > Design voltage:         0 mV
 > Capacity (warn):        0 mAh
 > Capacity (low):         0 mAh
 > Low/warn granularity:   0 mAh
 > Warn/full granularity:  0 mAh
 > Model number:
 > Serial number:          0
 > Type:
 > OEM info:
 > State:                  not present
 > Present voltage:        unknown

Seems that KDE's battery monitor is what needs hacking; it should
recognise the 'not present' state and ignore a non-fitted battery.

Have you tried contacting the KDE-in-FreeBSD folks about this?  You
could try http://freebsd.kde.org/ (disclaimer: I haven't been there)

 > [root@dlaptop ~]# acpiconf -i 0
 > Design capacity:        5200 mAh
 > Last full capacity:     4677 mAh
 > Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
 > Design voltage:         11100 mV
 > Capacity (warn):        520 mAh
 > Capacity (low):         157 mAh
 > Low/warn granularity:   52 mAh
 > Warn/full granularity:  52 mAh
 > Model number:           DELL PT43693
 > Serial number:          37449
 > Type:                   LION
 > OEM info:               Samsung SDI
 > State:                  high
 > Remaining capacity:     100%
 > Remaining time:         unknown
 > Present rate:           1 mA (12 mW)
 > Present voltage:        12506 mV

Sorry I can't be of more help; I'm using KDE (still 3.5.10 here) but use
gkrellm for its battery monitor along with everything else it shows, but
I can't say how it might handle multiple batteries.  Maybe worth a try?

cheers, Ian