Date:      Sat, 03 Nov 2007 07:54:39 +1030
From:      Benjamin Close <Benjamin.Close@clearchain.com>
To:        Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFT] Intel 3945abg wireless driver (wpi)

Frank Staals wrote:
> Benjamin Close wrote:
>> Howdy All,           I'm pleased to announce the first 'official'
>> experimental version of the wpi wireless driver and hence require
>> your help in making it become stable.
>> Expect a few things not to work (ie bg scanning, setting txpower) but
>> in general the driver should be usable in station mode (hostap is not
>> yet supported).
>>
>> If you've got an Intel 3945abg wireless card, grab the tarball at:
>>

>> http://people.freebsd.org/~benjsc/downloads/wpi/20071102-freebsd-wpi.tar.gz
>>

>> Untar and follow the instructions in the README.
>> If you want more info about the driver, or to checkout the FAQ checkout:
>>
>>    http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi
>>
>> I'm interested in all reports related to panics, things not working
>> as expected, etc.
>> The driver still has debug enabled so expect a few messages to be
>> dumped to the screen whilst in use.
>>
>> Finally, many thanks to all those that have been helping debug the
>> driver along the way.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    Benjamin
>>
> Woei ! It's working for me so far :) Allthough I still have issues
> when switching from one tty to one other. Here the output of the
> script I am using to do the connecting :
>
> loaded the module at boot
>
> ran my script which does: ( output snipped )
>
>        wlannic=wpi0
>
>        # clear the selected gateway:
>        route flush
>
>        # Set the interface        ifconfig ${wlannic} 192.168.5.5 ssid
> <SSID>
>
>        # Set a new gateway
>        route add default 192.168.5.1
>              # make sure to give the LAN-NIC an other IP-address
>        ifconfig ${lannic} 192.168.200.2
>
>        ifconfig ${wlannic} up
>
>        # test connection
>        ping -c 1 192.168.5.1
>              # start a screen session with ssh connection  for
> authentication
>        screen -d -m ssh -l wifi 192.168.5.1
>              # wait a while before testing the connection
>        sleep 3
>
>        # test conn:
>       ping -c 1 google.nl
>

> Everything works fine with the connection itself. Allthough sometimes
> when switching from tty9 to tty0 and back the system locks up. I've
> had it before when switching  from tty1 to tty0. Anyone with the same
> problems ?
>
> Anyway; Great work on the driver so far :D

I've similar issues and believe it might be due to the amount of kernel
printfs that are happening. Can you sysctl debug.wpi=0  and see if the
problem still exists?
By chance are you using ZFS? I caught a memory modified after free panic
in zfs the other day pid was from syslogd. I'm trying to work out if
it's related.

Cheers,
    Benjamin