Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:19:25 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Kimura Fuyuki <fuyuki@jade.dti.ne.jp>, asami@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   WRKDIRPREFIX issues ( Re: ghostscript6 WRKDIRPREFIX patch )

Kimura,

I enlarged the audiance, because I don't want to discuss with you
any further, what the magic words in ports(7) say, you are certainly
right in what you say, but that's not the *real problem*.

Instead of this I need a solution, how to maintain the gs55 and gs6
port at home via "remote CVS" (and to be conform to ports(7)).
The biggest problem are the enormous phone costs here in Germany,
that forces me to work the way I do, to reduce phone costs,

Maybe Satoshi or another committer have an idea how to handle this.

To make it clear, this problem only arises with ports, that need
the src directory of another port.

The symlink path that ${WRKDIRPREFIX} generates is not suitable
for me as "remote CVS user".

Compiling/testing my ports fails, because the symlink points to
nirwana.

For example ghostscript55 port:

andreas@titan{1016} $ pwd
/home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/akl/ghostscript55/work/gs5.50

andreas@titan{1017} $ ll jpeg
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  85  4 Apr 15:33 jpeg -> /home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/akl/ghostscript55/../../graphics/jpeg/work/jpeg-6b

My solution is to use $PORTSDIR/graphics/jpeg/work/jpeg-6b.
I have the whole ports collection checked out under /usr/ports.
Doing it this way I can make test compiles and such.

The way ${WRKDIRPREFIX} handles paths would require to do the
following:

a) checkout the complete ports collection via remote CVS
b) do all the work remote on freefall via ssh, checkout the
   whole ports collection somwhere under my home dir.

But both options are absolutely not suitable for me, since
that would be too expensive for me. I already pay > $ 110 every
months for provider and phone bills here in Germany.

I think a possible solution would be, to extract the sources of
the jpeg port in the work directory of the gs55 and gs6 port.

What do you think ?

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas