Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 02:44:22 -0400
From:      Aaron <dakiraun@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Kernel/Booting trouble

hey hey

First off, I would love to thank everyone responsible for FreeBSD - it's
amazing!

That said, I was working at creating a custom kernel for my system.  Upon
compiling it, I restarted the machine, and hoped all would work out OK.
Since it was my first attempt, naturally there was a small error, so I had
to reload the prior kernel in order to get back in.

Problem is that the old kernel doesn't work!  When I installed FreeBSD, I
used the configuration utility on the boot floppies to set up my machine
specifics.  That way it only looked for the equipment I had, and nothing
more.  It would seem, however, that this was done via a file alongside a
generic kernel, because when I try to load the original kernel, it's the
generic one and goes about checking for every known device.  This is what
prevents me from booting up.  As it scans for some of the devices, the
machine locks, and never recovers.  In the /boot directory, there's a
kernel.conf file, which is what I assume made the generic kernel originally
only look for certain devices, but when I unload the new kernel to load its
replacement, it unloads the link to the kernel.conf too.  Is there a way I
can specify that I still want it to use kernel.conf with the backed up
kernel?  Or is there a way to get it not to look for ALL known devices?

My solution to this would be to reinstall, only I can't resort to
reinstalling EVERY time the kernel modifications fail. :(  Any suggestions?

Aaron