Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 1996 10:59:13 +0100
From:      "Daniel P. Pflager" <dpflag@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        dpflag@ix.netcom.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba 1.9.14

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your help.

> Do you start smbd/nmbd through inetd.conf or in /etc/rc.local?
> I recommend the latter at least as long as thing don't work
> reliably. I start nmbd with specifying the broadcast address
> explicitly in the command line (-B ).

Right now I'm starting them by hand as follows:

	nmbd -D -S
	smbd -D

Is the order important?

> Have you looked at /usr/local/samba/log.<your-Win95-pc> ?

Yes. Now when I connect using a DOS box (net use \\groucho\dpflag),
it succeeds and I am able to DIR etc. However, I do get messages
in the log as follows:

	Attempt to locate null printername! Internal error?

	coudn't find service

This is not my primary aim though. What I want is to use
32 bit networking.

> Do you have a guest/pcguest account on the FreeBSD box?

I did not, but thanks to your suggestion, I have added it now.

Before I added it I was
in fact getting messages in the log to the effect that
the account "pcguest" was not set up.

> Can you connect (through smbclient to the Win95 box)?

I have not tried this since I intend to use the Win95 box
only as a client. Do you think it would help to set it up
as a server?

> Do you have an entry of your FreeBSD box in your
> hosts file (lmhosts ?) in your Win95 box?

Once again, at your suggestion I have added one with
the following lines:

198.202.216.48	groucho groucho.ubs.com	#PRE
198.202.216.49	chico chico.ubs.com #PRE

"groucho" is my FreeBSD server, "chico" is the Win95 box.

> Are you using DNS?

No. Since there are only these two computers on the network, I
am using /etc/hosts.

> Describe the symptoms in more detail.

I am a bit further ahead now. At least I am able to
connect from a DOS box and a "net use \\groucho\dpflag".

However I am still not able to use Win95's 32 bit networking.

When I start up my machine, I see the Windows Networking dialog
which prompts me for my username, password and domain. I enter
"dpflag", my password, and "groucho" for these (I don't know
what else to enter for domain).

It pauses for a while and then tells me that "No domain
server was available to validate your password. You may not be
able to gain access to some network resources".

It then asks me for my Windows password and my desktop appears.

When I click on "Network Neighborhood", nothing appears under
Entire Network. If I double-click on "Entire Network", I get
"Unable to browse the network. The network is not accessible".

Dan.