Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:28:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Valentino Vaschetto <logo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: <port> replacement

> 1.  Definitely 'package', not 'port'.  Ports are just the infrastructure
>     that produce packages.

Why package? We didnt use <package></package> before in our sgml
documents, so I think that we should keep it as "port". In html format,
when a user clicks on the link for net/cvsup for example, it takes them to
the cvsup port's page, and from there they have the option to download the
package. When a user clicks on the link, it doesn't go and start
downloading that package. Am I wrong? If I am, just ignore me on this
comment.

> 2.  I have a nagging feeling that we should make sure the package's
>     category is included somewhere that DSSSL/XSLT stylesheets can
>     access it.
>
>         <filename role="package">net/cvsup</filename>
>
>     is less easy to parse (in a stylesheet) than something like
>
>         <filename role="package" category="net">cvsup</filename>

I agree with this. Even though it is extra typing, you're right that it
would be easier to introduce into our stylesheet.

>     We can always make these entities, something like
>
>         &pkg.net.cvsup;

Deadly. If we did it this way, would'nt we have to add new entities every
time we get a new port? Even though it's easier than using the <filename>
tag, I think that it would be a hassle to keep up to date with all the new
ports.

-val