Date:      11 Nov 2002 10:25:51 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        unixnoob@charter.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting Files -- Help Plz :)

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 10:12, RD wrote:
> Wuzzup guys,
>   I'm running 2 boxes with freebsd.  One with pure-ftpd and the other
> runs my apache/php/mysql.  My ftp is an old compaq prolient workgroup
> server p pro 200mhz.  My webserver is a p3 - 500mhz.
>
> My question --
> What is the best way to mount or link to the files from box to box?

NFS

> When user ftp in and uploads files,  I want the files uploaded into my
> webserver box.   The webserver box will have all my hdds in it...

That may not be such a great idea - if you have all the drives on your
web server, you would need to run the NFS server there, and if you're
going to do that, why not just run FTP on the web server?

Why not run a web server and a file server, NFS mount the file server on
the web server and FTP files to and from the file server. I doubt you're
thinking of expanding anytime soon, but if you wanted to run 2 or more
web servers, that's a much easier setup.

> And say a user logs into ftp box,,   when he uploads a file onto the
> other box --  will the file instantly show up for webserver?

Okay, a user logs into ftp box ...

Yes the file will show up instantly, or as close to.

Read this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nfs.html