Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:19:44 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   WaveLan (Orinco) question (FreeBSD and Windows wireless connection)

Hi

Can anybody help me with configuration of wireless network.

I successful run network with number of WaveLan station with FreeBSD
driver in adhoc mode:
wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
in list I've found program to get firmware version, is shows:
# ./wi wi0 fd20 > wi-version
fd20: 001f 0001 0006 0006
I guess it  6.1, but I am not sure,

So now I've trying to connect windows machine to this network - and I
have no any success. I have no any access-point hardware in network.

So questions are:
  need I upgrade firmware on my WaveLans ?
  what IEEE 802.11 mode I need to configure to use mixed network ?
  what drivers will be good for Windows for it ?

May be there is to different answers like:
  "You need to use old windows driver ver X.X in adhoc demo mode"
or
  "You need to upgrade firmware and use BSS mode"

Please help me, I've read through FreeBSD mail-lists and found a lot of
information but no anything like step by step successful configuration notice.

--
TSB Russian Express, Moscow
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov, vova@express.ru