Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:18:58 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "G. Paul Ziemba" <pz-freebsd-ports@ziemba.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch to bsd.ports.mk to support out-of-tree patches.

mva@freebsd.org (Marcus von Appen) writes:

>Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>:

>[...]
>>          esac | ${PATCH} ${PATCH_DIST_ARGS} `patch_dist_strip $$i` ; \
>>      done )
>>  .endif
>> +.if defined(EXTRA_PATCH_TREE)
>[...]
>> +.endif
>>  .if defined(EXTRA_PATCHES)
>>      @set -e ; \
>>      for i in ${EXTRA_PATCHES}; do \
>>

>> ============

>Nice. I'd however change the patch behaviour to the following:

>- patch-* from FreeBSD
>- EXTRA_PATCHES from FreeBSD
>- local patches

>Your patch looks like it appleis the out-of-tree patches prior
>to any EXTRA_PATCHES defined by the port itself. This should not be
>the case, in my opinion. Locally managed patches should always come
>last to ensure that all FreeBSD/maintainer-specific bits have been
>applied and the local changes are just added on top of those.

Julian and others, I am wholly in favor of this capability. I have
been using a similar bsd.port.mk patch for some years based on
the discussions in this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-December/051767.html

I also agree with Marcus above regarding the order of application of patches.

Looking forward to its inclusion in the ports tree.
--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix: