Date:      Tue, 03 May 2005 09:54:54 +0200
From:      Eirik =?ISO-8859-1?B?2A==?=verby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gmirror oddities

Hi!

I've been using gmirror for a while to safeguard my system disks. I have
taken the slice-based mirror approach, where I use, say, ad0s1 and ad2s1 as
providers.
On one of my servers, this seems to be impossible. I create the mirror using
ad2s1 first (to keep my system running while I do some of the work), and
then I re-initialize ad0s1 (making it exactly the size of ad2s1) before
using gmirror insert to add it to the mirror.
However, at this point - when doing a gmirror list - it turns out that it
never added ad0s1 as a provider, but ad0 itself! As a result, I now have a
load of slices (ad0a, ad0b, ad0d, ad0e, ad0f) instead of having the same
structure as I have on ad2s1. It's just like ad2s1, just without the "s1"
part.

I've tried "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 bs=65536" a couple of times, in case
some old provider metadata was stored there. I also have exactly the same
setup in another server, the only difference being that it behaves as
expected..

Am I doing something blatantly wrong here? This IS supposed to work, right?
I've even found a very nice description of how to do it at
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
confirming that what I'm doing is right.

I'm on 5.4-PRERELEASE, but this problem has been there since 5.3-p2 or
something, which was when I first tried this.

Anyone?

Thanks,
/Eirik