Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:40:53 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: can not boot from RAIDZ with 8-STABLE

Artem Belevich wrote:
> 2011/8/17 Daniel Kalchev<daniel@digsys.bg>:
>> On 17.08.11 16:35, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried mfsBSD installation on Dell T110 with PERC H200A and 4x 500GB SATA
>>> disks. If I create zpool with RAIDZ, the boot immediately hangs with
>>> following error:
>>>
>> May be it that the BIOS does not see all drives at boot?
>
> Indeed. On one of my systems BIOS only allows access to the first four
> HDDs in the BIOS' boot priority list. What's especially annoying is
> that BIOS keep rearranging boot list every time new device is added or
> removed or if SATA controller card is moved to another slot. Every
> time it happens I have to go back and rearrange the drives so that my
> RAIDZ drives are on top of the list.
>
> If you can boot off CD or USB how many drives does bootloader report
> just before it gets to the menu?

Thank you guys, you are right. The BIOS provides only 1 disk to the
loader! I checked it from loader prompt by lsdev (booted from USB
external HDD).

So I will try to make a small zpool mirror for root and boot (if ZFS
mirror can be made of 4 providers instead of two) and the rest will be
in RAIDZ.

If that fails, I will go my old way with internal USB flash disk with
UFS for booting and RAIDZ of 4 disks for storage as I did it few years
ago with 7.0 or 7.1.

Thank you again!

Miroslav Lachman