Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:42:45 -0500
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: busdma documentation

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:12:33PM +0100, Harti Brandt wrote the words in effect of:

> Hi all,
>
> is there any documentation on the FreeBSD-busdma stuff? FreeBSD seems
> differ substantially from NetBSD in this regard. As far as I understand
> FreeBSD uses an older version.

Hello Harti,

I recentley started writing a bus_dma manual page, and also adding bits
from the NetBSD manual page.  You can view a copy which gets updated
about every day or two:

    [1] http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/work/misc/bus_dma.9.txt
    [2] http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/work/misc/bus_dma.9.patch

Yes, FreeBSD does use an old version of bus_dma, but things are being
ported as needed AFAIK.  For example, it would be good to have the
BUS_SPACE_DEBUG functionality ported to our bus_space/dma implementation
-- I am working on this at the moment; and also the naming o some flags,
like BUS_DMAMEM_NOSYNC, which is BUS_DMA_COHERENT on NetBSD.  I was
gonna compose a mail to Warner about this, but now its being asked on a
list, I am letting it out. :)

There is also stuff about bounce thresholds, and the nature of DMA
transfers (i.e. BUS_DMA_READ/WRITE) which needs to be ported.  Once step
at a time, and hopefully I will have all this done.  If I get enough
time after this, I will be doing an article on bus_dma, but not sure
yet.

NOTE: The above copy is work in progress -- the man page conversion
should be finished hopefully by end of this week.

Cheers.

--
Hiten Pandya (hiten@unixdaemons.com, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org)
http://www.unixdaemons.com/~hiten/