Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:38:11 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>
To:        Martin Wilke <unixfreunde@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Subject:   Re: Problems iwi load

> I have updated src yesterday at 21.30 and since I did ... iwi0 doesnt work again.  the Error message is: "iwi0: timeout waiting for firmware initialization to completet iwi0: could not load boot firmware" ...    I have installed sys/modules/iwi_fw with it and installed/reinstalled the firmware from the ports ...   my problem persists still.

As I understand it, you have to use mlaier's version of
sys/dev/iwi along with his iwi_fw module (both in his .tgz
file).

The checked in iwi code expects the 3.0 version of firmware.
You can use my quick hack (TM) below or wait for an official
update of iwi-firmware.

- download ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz from
      http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=7
  after agreeing to their licence.

- creatd & install iwi_bss.ko
  mkdir /sys/modules/iwi_bss
  cd /sys/modules/iwi_bss
  # create module Makefile
  cat > Makefile <<EOF
KMOD=   iwi_bss
FIRMWS= ipw2200-bss.fw:iwi_bss:300

.include <bsd.kmod.mk>
EOF
  # copy the bss file in the right place
  tar xvf ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz
  ln ipw2200-fw-3.0/ipw2200-bss.fw .
  make all install

But: 3.0 fw seems to be lose connectivity more often than the
previous version on the other hand I can reconnect without
crashing my system!  Also, the system panics on resume.