Date:      01 Apr 2001 21:49:22 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My Vinum heart attack

At 2001-04-02T02:32:13Z, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> > Can't create /dev/vinum/: File exists
> > Can't create /dev/vinum/vol/: File exists

> This looks very old.  Which version of vinum(8) is this?

I don't have access to the exact date of the build, but it was circa
2001-02-11.

> Ah.  Yes, you can't do that.  You *must* have your kernel and userland in
> sync.

Fair enough, but that was my original problem: following the update
instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING could have left me with a broken system.
Nowhere have I read anything warning users to keep them in rigid lockstep.
I mean, it's understood that you don't want your kernel and userland to be
too far out of sync, but I wasn't aware that it was that critical.

For example, here's an entry from UPDATING:

20010109:
        ipfw interface changed.  Make sure that the userland and kernel match
        or you won't have the firewall rules you think you do.

The instant I read that, I knew to watch out for the two parts.  I had no
idea that Vinum also had such conditions.

Two quick side questions:

How do you pronounce `Vinum'?
Did you ever get to look at my Vinum-on-IDE post from a month ago?
--
Kirk Strauser