Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:57:17 EDT
From:      "Tom Hines" <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HARD READ ERROR

Hi.  I'm running freebsd4.0-release for my desktop system at home.  My power
went off this morning and when it came back on and my system rebooted, I got
the following errors:

ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk#1947472 ata0-slave: WARNING: WAIT_READY
active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA

ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk#1947472 status=59 error=40
ad1: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
mount: Input/output error
Mounting /etc/fstab filesystems failed, startup aborted

I ran fsck on all the filesystems.  I don't know why it's complaining about
ad1 -- freebsd is installed on ad0.  I do have one filesystem on ad1, but
with nothing on it.  I fsck'ed it and it's clean.

Does anybody know what's wrong and how I can fix it?  Or why having the
power shut off would fsck up my puter?  How about explaining the error
diagnostics?  If I have to reinstall one more time I'd rather just shoot
myself.

Thanks
Tom Hines