Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:42:23 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        John Andersson <yottaman@writeme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad sectors on vinum volym

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 03:11:23PM +0200, John Andersson wrote:
> I seem to have some bad sectors on my vinum volume, fsck reports the
> following and does not seem to be able to fix it:
> THE FOLLOWING SECTORS COULD NOT BE WRITTEN: 44609178, 44609179,
>
> ***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****
> ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
> ***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****
>
> This was just a cut of the fsck output, it totally reports about 10 sectors
> that it can't read or write to.
> I tried to execute the badsect program (badsect /xxx/BAD 44609178 44609179),
> but it reports:
> Cannot find dev 061004206 corresponding to /xxx/BAD
>
> The volym in question consists of a 5 disc striped plex.
> Is it possible to run badsect on a vinum volym to fix this?
> I would prefer not to lose all data on the volym, and since it's about 40G
> of data I can't backup all data.
> I run FreeBSD 3.2-Release.
> It is possible to force a mount and continue to use the volym, but some
> directories are unaccessible.

Under which version did you create the volume?
I remember a problem in the sizecalculation in early vinum versions.
You should check the sector numbers and compare them to the partitionsizes?

As far as I know bassect has a limited number of bad sectors it can handle, so
I asume the problem range is to big.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de                                      info@cosmo-project.de