Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:56:53 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Evan Brastow <ebrastow@automatedemblem.com>
Cc:        "'Damien Tougas'" <dtougas@converging.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I HATE WINDOWS NT...

Evan Brastow wrote:

> Kent wrote:
>
> >> It applies to anyone that does work that has patent or security
> requirements. For example, if you are involved in a special project
> and you don't want your competitors to find out what is going on, you
> certainly don't have curious people in the computer room. If you do,
> your competitor may just beat you to market with your own product.<<
>
> Okay - you confused me again. I'm not talking about one company's IT staff
> reviewing another company's email. I'm talking about company management
> directing their IT guys to be sure that email received by and emanating from
> their company does not contain sensitive corporate data, or offensive
> language as defined in the company's policy. That's not spying - that is
> standard practice that I feel should be adhered to by every company for
> their own protection.

There are levels of involvment. The checking that you are talking
about is a special enterprise thing usually allocated to special
people. It isn't your system administrator because he has too many
other things to worry about. However, if you have an inappropriate
umask set or anyone with Root priviledges can snoop around and that is
what I'm talking about. You have to worry about both levels. For
example, a local company lost a mutli-million dollar contract and a
few months later, I heard that someone from security at the other
company called to tell them they had found an electronic copy of the
final bid package. Was it one of the team or someone from another team
that was curious, found it, and emailed it to a friend. He didn't need
to email it from one of the work computers because that certainly
wouldn't have been very smart. The email logs or header information
would have pointed to the responsible individual.

Kent

> Evan

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html