Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 14:35:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.org, wollman@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipx on 802.3

> >> Utterly irrelevant.
>
> > Are you sure "AF_IPX" won't work?
>
> DID YOU EVBEN BOTHER TO READ THE MESSAGE WHICH YOU REPLIED TO???!!!
>
> Obviously not, since, as I said, your reply was utterly irrelevant to
> the question being asked.
>
> The question, in case you've forgotten, is: how should one indicate to
> a network interface that it is to use 802.3 encapsulation rather than
> Ethernet v2?
>
> The answer, as I gave it, was: use the IFF_LINK* flags; that's what
> they're there for.
>
> Now would you please READ the messages before you respond to them?

Excuse me.

The AF_INET (default) address family causes the link flags to mean
interface type currently.

If one were to switch the behaviour based on address family to do the
"correct" thing in this regard, it would resolve the problem without
having to rewrite all the hardware selection code (not that the fix
you want isn't the correct thing to do in the long run).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---