Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:42:17 +1100
From:      "Garth T Kidd" <garth@netapp.com>
To:        <proff@suburbia.net>, "Peter Jeremy" <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: tcpdump

> Frankly I'm sick of seeing anal security idiots undermining useful
> functionality. I don't see why we should let this useless, winging
> segment of the network community, which spends all its time working
> out new ways to prevent people doing anything, shove their uncreative
> bankrupt, and wholly paranoid philosophy down everyone else's throats.

That's <cough> productive commentary.

Seems to me we can head all of this off pretty easily, guys. All it takes is
an install option:

		Relative Paranoia

Julian here can select "take away all the safeguards" mode. :) Personally,
I'll probably select "as secure as is practical without seriously getting in
my way". Those "Anal, useless, whining security idiots" out there can select
"wholly paranoid" mode.

Now, can we leave the ad hominem attacks out of this and get on with it? :)

Regards,
Garth.

--
Garth T Kidd <garth@netapp.com>      Network Appliance:
Systems Engineer, Australia & NZ     Fast. Simple. Reliable. Multiprotocol.