Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:09:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
To:        George <moschkau@moschkau.com>
Cc:        Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Walnut Creek vs. CheapBytes

Hi,
If you have the funds to actually purchase a cdrom distribution I would
purchase the full distribution from Walnut creek. Because it supports the
Freebsd project. Now about the question off witch OS is better quite
honestly I couldn't say ... Linux,FreeBSD,OpenBSD and NetBSD they all have
their stong and weak points. The only way to find out what OS and
distribution you like best is to try them all for 6 Months and then
deside. I personally Like FreeBSD for it's stability (servers), Linux for
it's ease off use (Workstations), OpenBSD for security ( ideal for a
Firewall ) and NetBSD for the small footprint ( Older Sun's like the
3/60). I also have SunOS on a 3/80 witch is good for learing the way Unix
was in the early 80's ( The Sun 3/80's are a damn site better then the
PC's from that time ) and I'm also getting Solaris and SCO openserver to
play with and maybe a VAX if I can find one on the cheap. So for me the
purchase off distributions is out off the question I try to get them off
the net or at 10 - 20 USD for the commercial OS's..

Michael
---
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28			http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/
B 9000 Gent			ftp://ftp.double-barrel.be/pub/linux/
Belgium				tel : 32-9-2227764 Fax : 32-9-2224976