Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:54:44 +0100
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   package/port dependency failures

I have recently begun to experiment with FreeBSD packages and ports,
and I noticed a problem with dependencies:

The system is FreeBSD 4.7.

I installed a package called "courier" using ports. It had a number of
dependencies, which it also installed, including one called "sysconftool".

When I then looked at the package database, under sysconftool, I saw that
it was a requirement for courier. Attempting to remove sysconftool with
pkg_delete failed with the warning that it was required by courier. That
was good, and is the kind of behaviour I see with RPM on linux.

However, I was able to remove sysconftool by using "make deinstall" in
the ports tree. It did warn that it was needed by courier, but removed
it anyway.

So I then typed "make install" to add it back in, because courier needs
it. However, this time round, it was not a requirement for courier (the
package database did not show it as a requirement). And I was able to
remove it using pkg_delete.

To me, this seems wrong: package dependencies are easily lost, and after
a while, the packages on a FreeBSD system could become unstable due to
missing dependencies.

Is this a fault within the ports system, or is it just this one package
that's bad?

I think the ports system is nice, but if it makes a sysadmin's life
difficult with bad dependency management, then I'd have an issue with it.

Any comments?

--
Anand Buddhdev
http://anand.org