Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 12:03:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ben Cohen <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

> However, i would be happy writting article scripts about FreeBSD usage
> cases in Europe i can find. Somewhere to send ?, someone to fix them ?
>
> I guess that if 20 of us do the same, we would quickly have a choice of
> perf cases, every-day cases, etc..

I live in the UK, so the below examples are UK-biased.
Let's see:

------

.ac.uk sites (UK Academic) powered by FreeBSD

www.sabe.bangor.ac.uk
(I don't know what this is though.)

inferno.cs.bris.ac.uk
(Inferno---this machine "in adition to assisting with research into
photorealistic graphics...was the main development site for Gid's Games,
and a number of different projects, like a multi-user chat program, and an
IBM PC emulator for Unix and X Windows, and the Early worms".

www.pet.cam.ac.uk
(Peterhouse College, Cambridge website.)

B-1000 is the student radio station of Brunel.  And they use FreeBSD for
broadcasting across the net.

http://hirta.tay.ac.uk/index.html
(Plant Biotechnology Group, University of Abertay, Dundee)

http://proxy.henley-cov.ac.uk/
(Henley College, Coventry)

http://virtue.dmem.strath.ac.uk/
(University of Strathclyde Transparent Telepresence Group)

------

I can't find any in .co.uk, .mil.uk (if it exists), .org.uk, .gov.uk :(

------

Others:

(I nicked some of these examples from this mailing list anyway.)
Yahoo!						FreeBSD
Walnut Creek (www.cdrom.com)			FreeBSD
www.altavista.com				FreeBSD
www.filez.com					FreeBSD
www.x86.org					FreeBSD
www.ebay.com (Auctioneers)			FreeBSD
ftpsearch.ntnu.no				FreeBSD
www.kfu.com (The Duck Pond Public UNIX)		FreeBSD
http://vicor-nb.com/ (Vicor/Richmond)		FreeBSD
http://www.chicago.com/				FreeBSD
http://www.asstdc.com.au/
(Assorted C Sofftware)				FreeBSD

Non-FreeBSD but BSD sites:

www.teletext.com		4.4 BSD
www.countryside.gov.uk		NetBSD
University of Minnesota		OpenBSD
www.pathname.com		BSDI
www.tetraworld.com		BSDI

------

I seem to remember that Hotmail was bought by Microsoft and that they
tried to use NT and that it couldn't cope with the strain so they had to
use FreeBSD or something...is that right?

------

I got some of the above by telnet-ing to the machines and seeing what OS
was running!  Is there a better way to achieve the same thing without
using telnet?

Others I got by typing
url:ac.uk AND "powered by freebsd"
in Altavista advanced search.