Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:04:03 +0000
From:      "S. Rajnic" <susan@netlink.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hello -- I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7 (as my desktop client) with Samba port samba-1.9.18.8, trying to
connect to a Win NT 4.0 server for the purpose of printing.  My smb.conf file passes the testparm check,
and i've made an entry into my /etc/printcap file that looks like:

rlp|remote|Samba NTSERVER printer:\
    :rm=ntserver.ourdomain.com:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
    :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

However, when i try a command using the following line:
smbclient ////NTSERVER -U {myusername}%{mypassword}

I get the following message:

Added interface ip=194.XX.XXX.92 bcast=194.XX.XXX.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/etc/lmhosts. Error was No such file or directory
Got a positive name query response from 194.XX.XXX.11 ( 194.XX.XXX.11 )
Server time is Mon Dec  7 09:53:41 1998
Timezone is UTC+0.0
Domain=[TECH] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
security=user
SMBtconX failed. ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

however, i am a valid user with a valid username within that NT domain, and
also a member of the Printer Operator's group.  I'm new to all this so I don't
quite understand what lmhosts is or why it's looking for it (nothing in man -k,
nothing on freebsd.org, etc).  help, anyone?

Thanks,
Susan
susan@netlink.co.uk