Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:06:10 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, seb@bluetail.com, ruslan@shevchenko.kiev.ua, olgeni@uli.it
Subject:   Re: erlang port -- a poster child (Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th)

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 03:50:41PM -0400, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> As a  rule, I CC  port maintainers (and  the last committer  chaning the
> port's Makefile) when I submit a PR regarding a port.

Then SAY SO.  In the PR.  And if you get no response within a <time-period>,
followup on the PR, saying you got no response.

Committers are not mind-readers.  If you don't give us all the information,
then something is going to go wrong.

> In this  case, I not  only did that, but  also keep bothering  this fine
> people, without any  response, regretfully. My last  such bothering took
> place less then a week ago, when I wrote to the Eddie mailing list:

Ahh.  The Eddie mailing list.  That well known repository of useful
information for -ports PRs.

Is it really that hard to understand that if it's not in the PR,
it doesn't exist?  Tell us the steps you've taken to try and
contact maintainers.  They can always be overridden, but you *have*
to (try to) speak to them first.

> Perhaps we (Jimmy  Olgeni and yours truly) should merge  our patches and
> resubmit, but it  would be nice to  see a confirmation, that  it will be
> looked at before we spend any more effort...

Contact the maintainer again.  Give them one more week.  Then work
on combining your patches, submit it as a new PR, choose one of
you to be the new maintainer (if the current one hasn't replied),
and indicate in this new PR that:

	(a) previous PRs (don't forget to mention the numbers) are
            superceded

	(b) that either you have maintainer approval, or politely
	    explain that you've tried to contact the maintainer
	    with no reply and that you wish <xxx> to become
	    the new maintainer

and I'm sure it will happen.

Handling PRs, especially -ports ones, where just the sheer number
is a headache, requires co-operaton between PR submitters and
committers.  If submitters don't provide all the information, then
running around screaming "no fair. my PR hasn't been touched."
is pointless.  Other committers may have differing views, the
above happens to be mine.

Of course, if you want to pay me, say, US$100 for each PR, then
we have a contract, and you'll get all the appropriate benefits.

Last time I looked, however, practically all ports work, on both
submitter and comitter sides, was being done "for free".

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/