Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:22:56 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on Alphas, the website, the FAQ, and the Handbook

Hi chaps,

I'm not an Alpha owner, I don't know much about them, and I'm not
subscribed to this list, but. . . I seem to have overall responsibility
for the FreeBSD documentation.

A brief glance over the FreeBSD website and the "Installing FreeBSD"
section in the Handbook (<URL:http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html>)
shows that our available documentation is still massively biased in favour
of the PC.

Now that the Alpha distribution is a part of the main source tree (and
obviously has been for some time) I think it's high time we changed that.

I can work over the FreeBSD web site content and remove some of the PC
specific references where the information applies to the Alpha as well.
But I don't have the requisite knowledge to be able to add to the
"Installing FreeBSD" chapter, nor do I know what any of the appropriate
FAQs for the Alpha distribution would be?

Is there anyone on this list who could help out with this, and write the
necessary sections in the documentation?  If so, please get in touch,
and we can try and rectify this hole in our documentation.

Cheers,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>