Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 00:59:48 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Baby Steps: So far, so good. What now, prithee ...

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 06:50:27PM -0400, John Mills wrote:
> Hello -
>
> Still learning to pedal in FreeBSD, and still need training wheels.
>
> 1) I started with the 4.5-RELEASE CD set installed in a trash-pick Cyrix
>    6x86 and 16 MBy RAM, and it seems to be doing fine (now that I opened
>    a peripheral slot in the back to allow the PS fan to draw some air into
>    Athe box!).
>
> 2) I ran cvsup against the 'standard-supfile' from the CD, pulling against
>    RELENG_4_5 and it went fine (creating a source tree, not a CVS copy).
>
> 3) I ran 'make world' (not 'make buildworld' nor make 'installworld') and
>    it ran to completion (once some fresh air could get to those thrashing
>    little transistors inside!)

You should have done a 'make buildworld' here instead.
'make world' is equivalent to 'make buildworld' followed by 'make installworld'

> 4) I made some simple configuration changes: no SCSI nor USB, and - I hope
>    - just a driver for the NIC I actually have: DEC 'tulip' for a LinkSys
>    NC-100/2 (it works in Linux - let me know if I had a better choice),
>    then ran 'make buildkernel' to completion with no errors. (Well, I did
>    required option, or rather left an unwanted driver.)
>
> NOW -- I want to ask about my next steps.
>
> I would like to test my new kernel, and also my new 'world' - so far as I
> know, I have installed neither.

You actually have installed the world already. 'make world' did that.
The kernel needs to be installed though. That is done by
'make installkernel'

> I suppose I should make a 'safety' copy of my current kernel. I expect I
> should copy '/kernel' to some new name such as '/kernel.orig'. Comments?

Might be a good idea.  It is not a bad idea anyway.

> I see there is also a '/kernel.GENERIC' which 'diff's-out identical to
> '/kernel'. Is this part of the 4.5-RELEASE CD installation? Does it
> correspond to a build from the 'GENERIC' config file using the
> 4.5-RELEASE 'world' toolset?

Yes, and yes.  You got it.

> I understand that 'make installkernel' will also keep a copy of my old
> kernel as '/kernel.old' or something close. Is that correct?

Correct.

> Basically I would like the new kernel to be set as a non-default
> selection. How do I do this? Rename so the original kernel appears as
> '/kernel' and the new one as [say] '/kernel.foobar'?

Sounds like a workable approach, but I would suggest you do use the new
kernel as default.  It is not recommended to run an old kernel with a
new world.

> Should I go through a configuration step the first time I boot the new
> kernel like the one I did before installing from the CD?

Shouldn't be necessary.

> What should I expect will _not_ work when I boot the new kernel? %8-)

Nothing. Everything should still work fine.

> When and how should I install my new set of 'world' results, and is there
> some cleanup I need to do after installation?
>
> Thanks for any comments.

The correct procedure is described in /usr/src/UPDATING and it is a
good idea to follow it.
In short the correct sequence is:

buildworld
buildkernel
installkernel
reboot into single user mode with the new kernel
  [The reboot step can usually, but not always, be skipped.]
installworld
mergemaster

(Mergemaster is used to merge changes to the configuration files in
/etc.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson