Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:05:21 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rename sys/*/conf/DEFAULT to _DEFAULT

Hi folks,
In the days of modern Unix, many (most?) of us have come to expect and
depend on command-line completion that today's modern shells provide in
order to reduce typing (and inaccurate typing).

Given that premise, the "DEFAULTS" file in sys/*/conf constantly trips me
up as my kernel files are named "DEO".  I know others with kernel configs
named with a 'D' that grumbled when command-line completion was now
thwart due to "DEFAULTS".

A very simple solution to this is to rename "DEFAULTS" to "_DEFAULTS".

One of the purposes for DEFAULTS was to semi-hide devices and options
that really aren't optional (unless you really know what you're doing) or
have POLA concerns so they would not be causally removed.  So this name
change also puts this file to a different "name space" - and in fact may
better convey "there are no user serviceable parts in here".

Thoughts?

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?