Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:44:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tx underrun, collisions, proxyall

I'm setting up a FreeBSD 3.3 RELEASE box to act as a bridge/firewall.
I've got all the necessary options enabled for ethernet bridging and ipfw,
and the desired scenario is working.

There are several problems at hand here.  The first is something that
popped up after the initial FreeBSD installation.  I have a pair of 3COM
NICs (xl driver) in the machine.  Periodically, I'll get an error along
the lines of:

	/kernel: xl1: transmission error: 90
	/kernel: xl1: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 240 bytes

I'll intermittently get errors like this for bother interfaces.  This
problem is independent of the ipfw/briding configuration.

The second problem I'm running across is another kernel error message
(this is with bridging and ipfw in a working state):

	/kernel: collision at 5378

What can I do about this?

Also, when pinging hosts, I'll also occaisionally see a ping reply along
the lines of:

64 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.74: icmp_seq=407 ttl=255 time=0.514 ms (DUP!)

What is the cause and solution of the "DUP!"?

Next, how does net.link.ether.inet.proxyall tie in to all of this, as it
seems that my bridge will not function without it?

I know there are a lot of questions/topics covered above, but if anybody
can provide me with any leads to explore on any of the above, I'd very
much appreciate it.  Thanks!

Mark Rekai - INetU, Inc.(tm) - http://www.INetU.net
Electronic commerce - Web development - Web hosting
       Mark@INetU.net - Phone: (610) 266-7441