Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 12:23:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD* mutex summary

Thanks for the summary here; this helps put things in context in
combination with Sun's publications on the topic.

One item:

> We have been using the term priority propagation. When a process
> blocks on a mutex the running priority is propagated to the
> holder of the mutex, if the holder is at a lower priority. As
> far as I can tell it is identical to the Solaris term priority
> inheritance. When I left Sun this had yet to be implemented but
> the need for it was certainly understood.

As Terry made it clear, this is "priority lending" in the common lexicon.

Given the recent exercise over the proposed kernel thread architecture,
where after much discussion and the invention of a great deal of new
terminology we basically reinvented scheduler activations (described in a
10 year old paper), I think that cleaving to existing terminology is
probably a good idea.

After all, none of this is rocket science, and I don't think we need to
kid ourselves that this hasn't already been done before.  Where there's
material elsewhere that we can benefit from, whether it's just terminology
or whether it's code complete, it's worth taking advantage of someone
else's sweat and tears.	 8)