Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:55:40 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        whizkid@ValueDJ.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW problems connecting to port 25!

whizkid@ValueDJ.com wrote:

>[snip]
>

>>You do have a rule for established connections?
>>

>>Kevin Kinsey
>>DaleCo S.P.
>>

>you know the only rule i have for that is
>
>add 60000 deny log tcp from any to any established
>
>I am assuming this is incorrect?

Aye, there's the rub.  Last rule is usually
"deny ip from any to any"; somewhere above
that, but after the setup rules is "allow ip from
any to my.ip.add.ress established"* ... it does
no good to allow the setup packets but no
further data....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo S.P.

*instead of "allow ip" this could conceivably
be protocol specific, e.g. if you only have tcp
services available, "allow tcp from any to {me} established"