Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:40:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      william paul <wpaul@windriver.com>
To:        malcolm.kay@internode.on.net (Malcolm Kay)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot find windows driver for nic, please help

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Malcolm Kay had
to walk into mine and say:

> On Thursday 25 March 2004 15:35, Brian H wrote:
> > Greetings Bill,
> >
> > I own a linksys WMP11 with the following chipset.
> >     vendor   =3D 'Broadcom Corporation'
> >     device   =3D 'BCM4301 802.11b IEEE 802.11b WLAN client chipset'
> >     class    =3D network
> >
> > I am trying to get it working in freebsd 5.2.1, so i figured I could =
> just
> > goto the linksys website and download the windows driver.
> >
> > =
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=3D33&scid=3D36&prid=3D1=
> 96
> >
> > the problem is the driver contains the bcmwl5.sys file, but it does =
> not
> > contain the bcmwl5.ini file.

You're looking for a .inf file *NOT* a .ini file. They're not the same
thing. The driver distribution from Linksys most definitely has both a
.sys file and .inf file for your device. Look harder. Also, check for
both upper and lower case file names.

> You have me totally confused or am I missing something? How does a =
> windows
> driver help you with freebsd 5.2.1 ?

He's trying to use the NDISulator which lets you use Windows binary
network drivers with FreeBSD. Before you go looking, the code is in
-current, not 5.2.1, but it will work with 5.2.1 if you install it
all correctly.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul@windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose