Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:53:15 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>, Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ddb(4) spoils kernel stack in CURRENT?

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 15:41, Kip Macy wrote:
> I worried that gdb probably had workaround for the large stack argument.
> I'll have to dig it up, thanks for the heads up.

Both kgdb and ddb have explicit knowledge of trapframes and interrupt frames
and know how to step across them, so both of those will need to be updated.
For ddb, you'll have to update the 'db_nextframe()' function in
sys/{amd64,i386}/{amd64,i386}/db_trace.c.  Specifically this section:

        /*
         * Point to base of trapframe which is just above the
         * current frame.
         */
        if (frame_type == INTERRUPT)
                tf = (struct trapframe *)((int)*fp + 12);
        else
                tf = (struct trapframe *)((int)*fp + 8);

The easy change is to just bump those up by 4 (by 8 on amd64).  Similarly,
for kgdb you'll have to update src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb/kgdb/trgt_{amd64,i386}.c.

NB: kgdb doesn't properly distinguish interrupt frames from other trap
frames.  It treats nearly all trap frames as interrupt frames (though its
handling of interrupt frames is more like a trap frame I think).