Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:16:19 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        Brent Bailey <misterb@bmyster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user toor ???

On Thursday, April 17, 2003, at 12:45  PM, Brent Bailey wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what function does the user "toor" that is put in
> by default by FBSD install  do?

It's a backup root user.

> im told its a security risk ...but unsure what it does ??

I'm told a lot of things too, but that doesn't mean I believe all of
them :-)  If you're excessively paranoid, you can remove the user, but
if someone can get into your machine and crack root/toor's password,
you've got bigger issues to worry about.

- jim

--
- jim mock  mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org  jim@{bsdnews|FreeBSD}.org -
- editor in chief, BSD News: http://bsdnews.org  http://soupnazi.org -