Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:49:53 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Aykut KARA <akara@egemenbilgisayar.com.tr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP support problem - panic: APIC: Previous IPI is stuck

Aykut KARA wrote:
>>>We are using FreeBSD 5.3R on our quad(4) cpu server. Our problem is,
>>>which I mentioned in subject line, "panic: APIC: Previous IPI is
>>>stuck". When server gives such an error, it stops responding ...
>>>
>>>I have searched all mailing lists but I can not find a solution except
>>>disabling SMP support in kernel which can not handle the traffic. What
>>>can be done in this situation? I will be pleased for your advises...
>

>>You sure you searched the mailing lists?  ;-)
>

>>Stephan Uphoff produced a patch that might fix it and posted to current@
>
> about it 2 weeks ago:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-November/043156.html
>

>>Jon
>

> Yes i have already read this but it says that:
>
> "The patch is a proof of concept and therefore not optimized".
>
> How can i try such a patch on o working remote high priority server?
> Furthermore, there is no information in the main FreeBSD site about this
> patch. I just want to learn that is there any way that guarantees to fix
> this error?
>
> AyKuT

The patch represents work that is ongoing to fix the problem.  You can
either help with that process by trying that patch, or wait patiently
until someone else tries the patch for you and declares it good.  There
is no information on the FreeBSD website about this patch because, well,
it's a work in progress.  And there are no guarantees anywhere that
any of this will work at all for you.  We even specify that clearly in
our license =-)

Scott