Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:09:22 +0100
From:      Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gbde and geli on 6.2

Hi I am concerned about the availabilities of these encryptions in
freebsd releases that are marked stable.

It seems gbde has a problem when the the data written goes over the
lba boundary around lba48.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2007-August/002524.html

I suffered this problem error example below.  Usage at the time was
approx 150gig when I first noticed it.

g_vfs_done():ad6s1c.bde[WRITE(offset=493964558336, length=131072)]error = 1

After reading about this problem on a few diff hits (all with no
response on fixes) I tried geli.

However I seen this in geli within an hour of using it.

GEOM_ELI: Crypto WRITE request failed (error=1).
ad6s1c.eli[WRITE(offset=0, length=131072)]

couldnt really found much info on it so I have given up on freebsd
encryption for now and using the disk unencrypted.  No dma errors etc.
all running fine.  I expect the gbde is a problem and would like it to
come with some warning as a modern drive is now often larger then the
lba48 limit whilst I am unsure of geli as I couldnt really found much
information on the problem I had so I understand its possible I had
set something incorrectly although I followed the handbooks
guidelines.  The data itself was actually written and not corrupt but
the server did crash whilst was in use occasionally so needed reboots
which is no good for a production server.

Chris