Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 14:03:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        David Ellefsen <titan@noc.wbhs.org.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS

David Ellefsen wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi!
>
> I need some help in setting up a simple DNS server for my home
> network, I have followed many different examples with not much
> success. it always tells me that the IP of the machine is already in
> use, could you please tell me how to set up a successfull DNS server
> (using named) please, or even sen me examples?

You mean something like:

Cannot bind ... [10.0.0.1].53): Address already in use

In that case, an instance of named is already running (probably since
bootup), thus inetd can not bind another server to the same address.port.
Check the output of ``ps -ax | grep named'' (without the quotes, of
course).

The key files to edit to configuring a nameserver exist in /etc/namedb

If you simply want to speed DNS queries by enabling caching, you can
enable forwarding only in /etc/namedb/named.conf:

forward only;

forwarders {
	112.13.15.2;
	};

where 112.13.15.2 should be replaced with the name of your ISP's
nameserver.  You will benefit from somewhat faster DNS queries if you are
over dialup or other high-latency link to your ISP, or if their nameserver
is under load.  Though, many client applications such as browsers do name
caching of their own to some extent, so you may not notice an appreciable
performance gain unless you are running other daemons.

After editing /etc/namedb/named.conf, issue the command 'ndc restart' to
restart/reload BIND.  (ndc reload also works)

If, on the other hand, you want to run an authoritative nameserver for one
or more domains, I STRONGLY recommend you first read some good material on
the subject, such as O'Reilly's "DNS and BIND".  Incorrectly setting up an
authoritative nameserver can break connectivity if you have subclients,
and generate a lot of useless traffic even if you don't.  Also ensure that
your ISP's security policy allows you to run a name daemon, as well.
"Home network" usually implies "personal connection".

> Thanks
> David

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2