Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 01:29:17 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Unquoted mail (was: aio_read kills machine)

On Tuesday, 12th October 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

>On Monday, 11 October 1999 at 20:39:11 -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:04:50AM +0930, a little birdie told me
>> that Greg Lehey remarked
>>>
>>> What mailer are you using?  It didn't quote the "From " at the
>>> beginning of the message, so David's message appeared as a separate
>>> message.  If you're looking for it, sort your messages in mailbox
>>> order and it'll be the next message after Andy's original.
>>
>> He appears to be using Pine, and it quoted it just fine for me.
>> And I do believe we're both using the same MUA, so I don't know where it
>> burped on the way to you.
>
>It doesn't have anything to do with the MUA.  The message arrived here
>without a > in front of the 'From ' at the beginning of the line,
>which is an indication that it's a new message.  But it's interesting
>that it didn't happen to everybody.

It's perfectly OK for 'From ' to appear at the beginning of the line in
mail.  It's not in any way special in standard conformant mail.

It's only when you want to store it in the traditional mailbox format that
you end up with a spurious mail delimiter.  If your mail delivery program
stores mail in such a format, it must be able to detect and neutralise
unintended markers.

My mailer (mh) does not use 'From ' as a marker and stores it unaltered.
The message in question arrived here unmolested (ie with no '>' indicator).
That is good.

/usr/libexec/mail.local (the default delivery program) will insert '>' before
'From ' though only if there is a preceding blank line.  I expect that the '>'
some people observed was added by their local delivery agent, though by my
reading of the code it can't have been mail.local.

Stephen.