Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 23:20:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problems after Veritas restore (fwd)

Sorry if this shows up twice, the e-mail gods are not currently happy with
me.

A student employee of mine (with root privileges) screwed up the find
command's delete option while we were hunting down copyrighted .mp3 files
on our production server and lobotomized the OS (FreeBSD 4.5-stable from
April 26).

After stitching enough things back together for Veritas backup/restore to
connect and run it's restore, the server was brought back into bootable
condition.  Unfortunately, network time-out issues left the machine with
an incomplete restore (no /usr/local files, no /usr/src files, no
/usr/ports files, etc.)  so the next day, we re-ran the restore (skipping
existing files) and the machine rebooted again.

I found some troubling error messages after the reboot, and after
verifying that the previous missing directory contents had this time
really been restored,

I cannot use the console; I get this message:

"May 11 22:31:40 dl1 init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv6,
sleeping 30 secs"

It's repeated over and over on every tty from 1-7.

I CAN, thank God, ssh into the machine.

When I run various commands (example here is man man), I get:

"/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: man: Undefined symbol "nl_langinfo""

I've re-cvsupped the sources using:

"*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4 date=2002.04.26.16.00.00
*default delete use-rel-suffix"

and I'm hoping to get the correct sources for 4.5-stable from April 26,
2002 (the date of the machine's kernel build).  But, I'm a bit confused by
the man cvsup page (on another machine, of course) and I'm not sure I've
got the syntax right.

On another note regarding the Veritas backup software (and maybe this is
something for freebsd-stable@freebsd.org), since I upgraded 2 other of our
machines to 4.6 PreRelease, the Veritas software can no longer contact
either of those machines.  I made sure the proper Veritas information was
in inetd.conf and /etc/services and that rsh (Shell) was enabled in
inetd.conf, too.  (rsh is how the SunOS flavor of Veritas Enterprise
backup installs the software on FreeBSD boxes).

Needless to say, I'm up against a wall on this one, so any ideas on what
might be happening here, would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT