Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:12:05 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Michel <michel@douyere.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating the kernel

Michel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a box running a 6.2-RELEASE with 3 jails and 6.3 is coming soon. So can
> I update my kernel (and how) without any trouble for the users in the jails ?
>
> I know that there is a binary compatibility between 6.2 and 6.3 but can I do a
> source update, make world, make kernel, install kernel, install world,
> mergemaster and leave the jails unchanged ?

You can use source upgrade, or "brand new" binary upgrade
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-10-freebsd-minor-version-upgrade.html
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrade.html

I have test machine, where I upgraded host system from 6.2 to 7.0-BETA4
and Jails are still 6.2. Everything works withou any problem. (but this
machine in not heavily loaded)

Or if you want, you can upgrade host kernel and world and then jails world.

Miroslav Lachman