Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:17:11 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maximum recommended user limits on mail server

Tom Samplonius wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:
[ ... ]
>> He's thinking he needs to go with 'big iron' such as SUN.
> Well, if he wants to waste money....  10 to 15K accounts is not a lot
> accounts.  Plus, "Sun big iron" comes with such slow processors.  For
> instance, the 2.4Ghz Xeon is going to be faster than any single Sun
> processor.  You'll need a quad Ultrasparc to keep up with a basic dual
> Xeon (like Dell Poweredge 2650).

# of disk spindles and the I/O system matter a lot more than CPU power
does for the user aspects of what mail servers do; ie, the box(es) with
filestorage holding user's mailboxes, the place which runs your IMAP/POP
services, etc.  You'd want CPU power more for virus scanning and
spam-testing; a Dell PE would do just fine as the SMTP relay box, which
processes all mail in and out of the mbox-storage/MUA system(s).

A Sun E450 with twenty disks across five SCSI channels (66MHz/64bit PCI)
can make the difference between fifty hours of downtime per year with
Intel gear versus 50 minutes with the Sun.  If ~50 hours of downtime per
year costs more than $30K, getting the Sun is probably worth it.

That's not to say that Sun is the only solution, but you do want
something which can handle up to 1.6+ Gbs of disk bandwidth plus however
much for network traffic as well.  If this mail server is local to a
company's office, and they're doing multimedia, you might need more than
100Mbs ethernet.  An E450, or maybe a 280R + a D1000 storage setup would
fit the bill nicely.  Or perhaps a Apple Xserve plus their new fibre
RAID storage box?  :-)

I'd wait for SATA drives, MB's, and such to evolve for another
generation and see how they're doing then, before I'd switch from SCA-2
[80-pin hot-pluggable SCSI-3 format] as a preferred format.  And you
should be looking to do RAID-1,0 (or -10, or -0+1), not RAID-5.  And you
should be looking for disks that have at least a 3-year warrantee.

--
-Chuck