Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2019 23:25:28 -0400
From:      Joe Maloney <jmaloney@ixsystems.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

What you describe is the sysup tool for managing updates with boot =
environments which is not part of the CFT ISO.  The pkg upgrade command =
is used to update the base packages.  Sysup is not necessary unless you =
want a wrapper to create boot environments. =20

Having said that I cannot describe the problems I=E2=80=99ve had for =
several years with FreeBSD=E2=80=99s pkg base without muddying the =
waters with this CFT.  So I sort of agree it should be called =E2=80=9Cpla=
nned pkg-base=E2=80=9D, or =E2=80=9Cactually has a chance at being =
integratabtle pkg-base=E2=80=9D.  Try the ISO I think you will like it.

Joe Maloney
Quality Engineering Manager / iXsystems
Enterprise Storage & Servers Driven By Open Source

<wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>>> <<On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 12:31:07 -0700, Cy Schubertt=20
>>> <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> said:
>>>=20
>>> the=20
>>>=20
>>> and=20

>>> BSD=20
>>>=20
>>> No.  The "real" advantage of pkgbase is that it allows the =
distributor
>>> of a customized version of the operating system to support =
binary-only
>>> updates, without all the (non-trivial) infrastructure of running a
>>> custom FreeBSD-update builder and distribution server.
>>>=20
>>> Consider my position: I have about 30 servers (and another ~10 =
jails)
>>> that all run the same local build of FreeBSD.  Right now, the only
>>> reliable way to update them is to NFS-mount /usr/src and /usr/obj =
from
>>> my build server, and run a (slow) "make installworld".  It would
>>> literally save me hours out of every upgrade (or base-system =
security
>>> fix) to be able to install compressed binary packages downloaded =
over
>>> http, and I'd have better security because binary packages are
>>> signed.
>>>=20
>>> For my use case, I don't much care what the granularity is, so long =
as
>>> I can safely upgrade (or update) the kernel independently of the
>>> userland and independently of third-party packages -- just two
>>> packages (kernel and userland) would suffice, although I'd probably
>>> prefer the runtime libraries to be in a separate package just for
>>> safety.
>>>=20
>>> I'm not distributing packages to third parties, I just want to be =
able
>>> to install and upgrade my packages on my fleet of servers and jails
>>> quickly and safely.  This is not the entirety of the use cases the
>>> project as a whole needs to support, but it's a major *end-user* use
>>> case.  (And I've said as much in various surveys.)
>>>=20
>>> -GAWollman
>>=20
>> An anaconda-like installer for freebsd could do that. Also a perfect =
job for cfengine or ansible. Deploy and use a playbook to enforce =
policy.
>=20
> https://anaconda-installer.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ =
<https://anaconda-installer.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>;
>=20
>> You don't need to break up base into packages (not arguing against =
packaging) to gain the benefits of configuration management.
>>=20
>> As for updating, freebsd-update is mostly there to accomplish your =
requirement without pkgbase. Which begs the question,  if we're simply =
replacing freebsd-update and it does most of what we want why the extra =
effort? Unless we want to solve more than just this problem? Which BTW I =
think we do.
>>=20
>> I've seen pkgbase as a building block to build an anaconda-like =
installer complete with scripting language. The ability to pick and =
choose packages as many Linux distros do is one part of it.
rgrimes@freebsd.org <mailto:rgrimes@freebsd.org>