Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 06:16:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        brainey@cisco.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motorola VoiceSurfr modem PnP card seen during Gus Pnp search

> Hi,
> 	Yesterday I went and got a Motorola VoiceSurfr 56K internal
> modem PnP ISA Card, ran the setmodem.exe program supplied under DOS to
> but when it gets to the GUS stuff, I got this:
> I guess the question is - how do I get the guspnp code to get beyond
> the motorola pnp card and find the guspnp ? Is this a case where I
> should try Luigi's sound drivers and pnp code ?

probably. As a matter of fact, the problem is that guspnp does its own
PnP handling and from your report it appears to be pretty unflexible in
that it only expects one PnP device, and that should be the GUS.

For sure you should get my pnp code (and since it's in -current since
october or so, all you need is to put "controller pnp" into your kernel
config file and do the usual stuff. As a bonus that will save you the
need to configure the card through DOS, but you will be able to use
boot -c for that -- see man pnp for details.

As for the sound driver, if you use mine, you will only be able to use
the audio capabilities of the gus -- no midi, no synth. Maybe that's
enough for you, as it is for me and many others.

Otherwise, you should try and see if there can be some integration
between the guspnp code and my pnp support (basically it requires to
remove the pnp setup code from guspnp, and use my routines instead to
_read_ the status of the guspnp at attach time.

	cheers
	luigi