Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:30:00 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Paul Winter" <paul.winter2@virgin.net>
Subject:   Re: Booting

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:00:51 +0000, Paul Winter wrote:

>Seeing as only four primary partitions can be created with ease using a
>commercial product such as Partition Magic. In order to provide
>versitily so that more than say four Operting Systems may be installed
>and evaluted (UNIX, versions of Linux, NT etc) is it possible to reserve
>logical partitions where FreeBSD can be installed and booted from even
>though you can't boot directly into a logical partition (set active) But
>they can be made "Bootable", apparently?

Linux and OS/2 can boot from a logical partition. DOS, WinBlows NT, and
FreeBSD require one of the four primary partitions. Note that one
primary partition is used when you first create a logical partition.
IBMs Boot Manager (also available with Partition Magic) also uses a
primary partition. Some other "boot manager" solutions may not require
a partition at all.

Here's a possibility:
1. Boot Manager
2. FreeBSD 2.2.7
3. FreeBSD 3.0R
4. Extended DOS partition for logical drives
	1. Slackware Linux
	2. Red Hat Linux
	3. Debian Linux
	4. Yag Linux (hey, I can't spell it)
	5. Who knows Linux

FreeBSD 2.2.7, I'm pretty sure even -stable, has problems with multiple
FreeBSD partitions (second and subsequent FreeBSD partitions want to
mount / from the first FreeBSD), but I believe 3.0R will handle it
correctly (and this problem is possibly really just a Boot Easy bug).

Note that you may be limited by any particular OS as to how many
logical partitions you can have. Since DOS and WinBlows use the
alphabet, you can only have 26 drive letters. You could have more
logical partitions, but not be able to assign them a drive letter.
Other OSes could have some such stupid restriction (but I've never seen
a stupid programmer that wasn't a Microsuk only programmer!).

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.