Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:37:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good network card (xl0 packet dropping)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Will Saxon wrote:

> > One possible caveat:  I had problems doing an across-the-wire installation
> > of FreeBSD with the lastest Pro/100 card which has the management and the
> > boot rom stuff in it.   Ended up installing using a "generic" realtec pci
> > adapter and then putting the Pro/100 in there.   I can't say for sure what
> > the problem was, but the card is running like a champ now (perhaps
> > something weird with the install kernel?)
> >

> What was the problem? I had a problem once doing the same thing with mine,
> but it was user error - the other side was 100mbit full duplex and I had
> forgotten to enable full-duplex. REALLY slow :P.

It had all the symptoms of a mangled IRQ- could ifconfig it, it would show
up and have the right data rate, etc., but could not ping the box, and the
install process would hang when it tried to resolve the name of the ftp
server.

I suspect something in the box (SE440BX-2 M/B, AHA1742U2W, Trident AGP
video + this card) was conflicting with it.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ