Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 01:30:09 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, jak@cetlink.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

> This isn't actually a Cyrix "MediaGX" processor, is it?  If so *all*
> bets on its behaviour are off.  The MediaGX emulates some of the system
> hardware using SMI traps, and the quality and accuracy of this
> emulation seems to vary widely with BIOS implementor.

Hmm, it says ``Cyrix MediaGX MMX'' in large friendly letters on the
box.  I guess it's going back to the shop.  Such a shame - but I
should have realized there was a catch.

> > Additionally, the apm controller is misbehaving - so all this may be
> > a result of that.  It's one of those nasty pci-come-isa jobs (VLSI
> > 82C146, 5 mem & 2 i/o windows), and no matter what I do, I can't get
> > it to notice the pccard's irq.
>
> Don't confuse APM (which is a software interface to the BIOS) and the
> PCCARD controller (which is hardware).  Completely different things.

I was confusing the two - two different problems from the looks of it.

> What do you mean by "notice the pccard's IRQ"?  Have you verified that
> the controller in question is actually an 82C146, or just something
> that behaves something like it?

It probes as a 82C146, but I haven't opened up the machine (and I'm
not going to now 'cos it's going back to the shop).  Needless to say,
there's nothing in the instructions or on the Compaq web site.

> The PCCARD controller is polled as well as handled by an interrupt, but
> that doesn't sound like your problem.

The controller seems fine, but I thought (this is probably wrong)
that the controller passed the card irqs onto the bus....

> > I've tried manually assigning irq 12 (rather than 3) to the
> > controller by tweaking pccard.c but it makes no difference.  The card
> > is functional in my old laptop and has a hard-coded irq 10 in
> > pccard.conf - and I know irq 12 is free for the controller (I'm not
> > sure about irq 3 'cos there's a built-in modem that I haven't been
> > able to find i/o address-wise yet) :-/
> >
> > I know it's an irq problem because if I ``ping -c2'', I get
> > everything back in one go at the end.  Any other ping results in
> > nothing.  arps work and dns (udp?) works very slowly.
>
> This isn't related to the controller IRQ, but rather the card IRQ.  It
> sounds like either the controller is not correctly generating the
> requested IRQ, or the IRQ that you're assigning to the card is in use
> by something else in the system.  Try moving your card IRQ's around.

I moved the card irq to 11 with the same results.  Udp packets work
slowly and a ping -c10 will come back 10 seconds later with ping
times ranging from 10 seconds to 1 second.

And now for the rest of it.  I can't find the modem anywhere - the
only evidence that there's one there is that there's an rj45 socket
at the back and the packaging says there's one.

The mouse (a touch-pad with ``extra'' area-sensitive capabilities)
can't be probed either.  No matter what I do to the psm device, it's
just not there.

zzz will immediately resume, although FN-F4 will sleep and the apm
driver will notice and do the ``slept for xxx'' diagnostic bit.  The
suspend capability doesn't work at all.

Now and then, when booting, sio0 won't be probed.  A reboot solves
that !!?!

I guess I should be grateful that the CD & sound card work.  I knew I
shouldn't have bought Compaq - they have a tendency to do produce
these sort of surprises.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Thanks for your help Mike (& Bruce).