Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:50:35 -0600
From:      "John Hoover" <johnfhoover@gmail.com>
Subject:   DSL router bridging question

I've got a bit of an involved question about dsl and router config so hopef=
ully
I'm able to make this clear.

The situation I've got is, one dsl router w/ 4 inside ports, 8 routable IPs=
,
2 outside machines ( FW and Email/Web), and a number of inside machines
behind the firewall. Currently I've got one IP for the inside
interface of the router
and one for each outside machine. DHCP and NAT are turned off on the router=
,
but "BreakWater Firewall" is set to "ClearSailing" and "Safe Harbour" is "O=
n".
I couldn't find the setting for the "Safe Harbour" option. Router is
Netopia-3000
model 3347NWG. It's currently set to "PPP over Ethernet".

Ok, here's my issue, everything works fine from the inside, and machines
behind the firewall can access the web server and the Internet, but it look=
like the router is blocking all inbound connections.  Does the router need =
be in "RFC-1483 Bridged Ethernet" mode and have the firewall run PPPoE
to sign in to BellSouth? And if this is the answer, will the web server or =
any
other machines (with routable IPs) on the router's inside ports
operate as expected?

I've looked at the handbook PPPoE info and it seems clear enough and there
are a few sites with info on bridging the router, I'm looking for
clarification before
 I start changing the current setup that bridging the router is what I
want, that
the router is transparent to the Internet, that is allowing all
traffic in and out.

thanks,
John.

--